Re: Sharing Oracle users

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 12:36:13 -0000

"Tim Shute" <tshute_at_nisoft.co.uk> wrote in message news:32AA3B12B79DD311B0CB006097A4426B18F01F_at_ORION...
> Hi Sybrand
>
> Thanks for the info.
>
> Unfortunately, our client is using 734 at the moment and wants this system
> implemented before any changeover to 8.
>
> The second instance is necessary because the database is performing a
> completely different function from the first database and we don't want to
> create the tables within the same instance, but with a different schema
> owner of the new tables. The user 'community' accessing each system is the
> same (i.e. any existing member of their NT network).

Hi Tim,

The database users are specific to the instance. You will need to recreate all the users in the new instance. I believe it might be possible to automate this by preparing scripts which read the DBA_USERS view in instance 1 and update instance 2 with the new value but I haven't actually tried this.

HTH Received on Tue Mar 21 2000 - 06:36:13 CST