(How do I use thin drivers?) was Re: Connecting to DB crashes Java

From: Dare Obasanjo <kpako_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2000 09:02:23 -0500

Martin Brehovsky wrote:

> Try to use thin drivers. I use them with jdk 1.2.2 and they work with oracle 8.1.5 and 7.3.2
> as well. (tested on WindowsNT and Solaris 2.6)

How do I use the thin drivers? I've tried every combination I can come up with but always get a java.sql.SQLException: The network adaptor could not establish the connection.

I tried:

DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:oracle:thin:@venom:1521:orcl" ,user,pass);

//where venom is the network name of the machine

DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:oracle:thin:@localhost:1521:orcl" ,user,pass);

DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:oracle:thin:@127.0.0.1:1521:orcl" ,user,pass);

DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:oracle:thin:@www.mydomain.com:1521:orcl" ,user,pass);

DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:oracle:thin:@venom:208.61.21.89:orcl" ,user,pass);

//where 208.61.21.89 is my IP address....

All the above methods fail and give me the same java.sql.SQLException with regards to the network adapter. . Received on Thu Mar 09 2000 - 08:02:23 CST