Re: ODBC and Oracle

From: Brian Peasland <peasland_at_edcmail.cr.usgs.gov>
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2000 13:40:28 GMT

Mike,

> I connect through ODBC using the username JSMITH and want to access the
> jsmith.location table. There is another table in the database called
> demo.location.
>
> If I try to create a recordset with "Select * from location" then I get an
> error telling me that the table name is ambiguous.

Are you sure this is happening as you wrote it? If you sign on to the database (using ODBC or whatever) as the SMITH user and you do SELECT * FROM LOCATION, the database will assume you meant the SMITH user, not the DEMO user. In fact, a user can not have two different objects with the same name. The database forces you to resolve ambiguity.

If you need to select from the DEMO user, you have to explicitly say that you want the DEMO user's LOCATION table (DEMO.LOCATION).

HTH,
Brian

--

Brian Peasland