Re: NT/Oracle Ent. Srv down (1034) following ActiveX VB app install

From: <rock_cogar_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2000 20:33:40 GMT

Michel,

48MB is only 16MB more RAM than NT4 requires to boot ! I would be very surprised if you can get Ora8 to run without adding RAM to your server.

After you reboot the server, go to the services panel inside control panel. You should see something like:

OracleServiceORCL started automatic

If not then the Oracle service cannot start even after a reboot.

Rock.

In article <38C67428.666ED7D_at_videotron.ca>,   mrjean_at_videotron.ca wrote:
> hi!
>
> I successfully installed Oracle 8.0 Enterprise Database on a NT Server
> machine with 48MB RAM.
>
> Recently, after installing an Active X VB application that uses ODBC
> oracle is down. If I try to run Server Manager I get the folowing
error
> message:
>
> ORA-01034: Message 1034 not found; No message file for
product=RDBMS80,
> facility=ORA
>
> ------------------------------
>
> From Oracle's documentation I got the following explanation:
>
> ORA-01034: Oracle not available
> Cause: Oracle was not started up. Possible causes include the
following:

> The SGA requires more space than was allocated for it.
>
> The operating system variable pointing to the instance was improperly
> defined.
>
> Action: Refer to accompanying messages for possible causes and correct
> the problem mentioned in the other messages. Retry after Oracle has
been
> initialized.
>
> If Oracle has been initialized, then on some operating systems, verify
> that Oracle was linked correctly. See the platform-specific Oracle
> documentation.
>
> ------------------------------
>
> I have 450B available on the partition where Oracle is. Besides it
used
> to work with less space than that so I don't think that this is the
> problem.
>
> However there the second about "operating system variable pointing to
> the instance was improperly defined." Well I don't know about this
one.
> Anyone can help me with this on NT? In other words... how can I make
> sure that NT's variable is correctly pointing to Oracle?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Michel
>
> mrjean.tripod.com

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Wed Mar 08 2000 - 14:33:40 CST