NT/Oracle Ent. Srv down (1034) following ActiveX VB app install

From: Michel Jean <mrjean_at_videotron.ca>
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2000 10:39:21 -0500

hi!

I successfully installed Oracle 8.0 Enterprise Database on a NT Server machine with 48MB RAM.

Recently, after installing an Active X VB application that uses ODBC oracle is down. If I try to run Server Manager I get the folowing error message:

ORA-01034: Message 1034 not found; No message file for product=RDBMS80, facility=ORA

From Oracle's documentation I got the following explanation:

ORA-01034: Oracle not available
Cause: Oracle was not started up. Possible causes include the following:

The SGA requires more space than was allocated for it.

The operating system variable pointing to the instance was improperly defined.

Action: Refer to accompanying messages for possible causes and correct the problem mentioned in the other messages. Retry after Oracle has been initialized.

If Oracle has been initialized, then on some operating systems, verify that Oracle was linked correctly. See the platform-specific Oracle documentation.

I have 450B available on the partition where Oracle is. Besides it used to work with less space than that so I don't think that this is the problem.

However there the second about "operating system variable pointing to the instance was improperly defined." Well I don't know about this one. Anyone can help me with this on NT? In other words... how can I make sure that NT's variable is correctly pointing to Oracle?

Thanks in advance!

Michel

mrjean.tripod.com Received on Wed Mar 08 2000 - 09:39:21 CST