Moving from MS to Oracle

From: GAB <news3_at_baxnet.net>
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2000 11:49:18 -0500

The million dollar question -

I'm coding a fairly complex forms app with MS-SQL 7.0 supporting my data, VB6 as the front end.

At this time, I'm doing my best to avoid all the fluffy ADO recordset functionality, instead giving most of the data work to the server and just passing say, one record or view at a time. I've used both standard SQL, and a bunch of T-SQL as well.

Now eventually I'd like to take this app to Oracle also.

So am I approaching this in the right way? It's my understanding that Oracle's interface to ADO is only a fraction of SQL Server, but I don't know for sure. Is Ora's OO4O a good replacement for MS's Ole-DB driver? Do I still need to do most of the code on the server with Ora?

If I do keep code on the server (I need advice there too - should I?), how much of a transition am I gonna have to tolerate moving from T-SQL (ms) to PL-SQL (Ora) for all my stored procs?

Am I even going about this correctly?

Am I crazy for even considering Ora? Received on Sun Mar 05 2000 - 10:49:18 CST