Re: Microsoft destroys TPC-C records!

From: Norris <jcheong_at_cooper.com.hk>
Date: 2000/03/03

SQL Server 2000 achieved its impressive scores using a new feature called distributed partitioned views. This configuration let Microsoft physically distribute slices of a single table across multiple servers but logically access the table as an integrated whole. Microsoft calls this configuration a "federated database," a precursor to the 100 percent shared-nothing cluster architecture plans for Yukon (the version after SQL Server 2000). Microsoft spread the federated database across 12 Compaq servers, each running 8 CPUs for a combined total of 96 CPUs. The best Oracle score came on a single SMP-based IBM machine running 24 CPUs.