How to keep init.ora files in sync?

From: Van Messner <vmessnerNOvmSPAM_at_discovernet.com.invalid>
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 05:10:28 -0800

 We run OEM2 on an NT box and manage a group of databases on Novell, NT and UNIX servers.

   Let's say I change an initialization parameter for a database in OEM from x to y. OEM tells me I need to stop and restart the database for the changes to take effect.

   I stop the database. On restart OEM asks if I want to use a stored configuration for startup parameters or the database pfile. But to use the database pfile I have to be able to browse to it, which is not convenient if it is a UNIX database.

   I can use the stored configuration which sees the new value, y and start the database. If I query the database I will see the parameter value is y. But if go out to the server and look at the pfile, the value is still x.

   If anyone ever starts the database from the server console, then I've got the old x value for the parameter back in the database.

   How do you keep the OEM stored configuration and the database pfile in sync?

Van