Select Family, First (Name) from ... group by Family

From: Patrick Joyal <please.reply_at_to.the.newsgroup>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 20:27:34 GMT

here's an example to understand my problem.

I have a table People containing 2 columns : Family and Name

Family            Name
-------------     ------------
Smith             John
Smith             Roger
Smith             Bob
Doe               Arthur
Doe               John
Souvlaki          Angie
Souvlaki          Benny

in Access, if I want 1 member from each family, I use this :

Select Family, First (Name)
from People
Group By Family

results :

Family Name

Smith            John
Doe              Arthur
Souvlaki         Angie

How could I do this in Oracle ?

merci

Patrick Received on Wed Feb 23 2000 - 14:27:34 CST