Re: Virtual Memory Setting for Oracle on NT

From: Robert T. Bunch <bunchr_at_saic.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 14:10:30 GMT

I've tried to find good tuning info on Oracle/NT, and here's a few things I've found (I'm assuming that the server isn't used for any other purposes):

If your SGA is sized well, your pagefile shouldn't even twitch when Oracle's doing some hard work. If performance is still a problem, you may have to throw more memory at the problem (cheap solution), or add more disks and use a RAID solution. Spreading lots of I/O over many disks helps (btw -- do you have IDE or SCSI, and what kind of layout?) Also, what kind of activity is causing the thrashing? Queries? Updates?

Look at SQL executed during heavy thrashing, and run explain plans on them. It's possible you're doing a lot of full table scans. (refer to Oracle docs on explain plans).

Hope this helps...