Re: Which OS is better?

From: Niall <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 14:33:19 -0000

Stavros Kalamatianos" <skalamatianos_at_dimen-intl.com> wrote in message news:3898B3F2.D3FDA6F5_at_dimen-intl.com...
> Hi,
>
> My group is migrating to a new Database/OS platform from MS Access 97.
> We are contemplating moving to Oracle.
>
> There has been one critical question came up in our discussions, that
> is, which OS is best suited for Oracle: Solaris or Win NT ?

Oracle especially with large databases definitely runs better on a Unix platform. By better I mean faster for the same hardware and more reliably. However your choice would I suggest be better dictated by which OS is better for your organisation from an administrative point of view. Ifg your organisation is full of NT experts why install a sun box? OTOH if you leave & breath Unix then NT would be an um .. problematic.. choice Received on Thu Feb 03 2000 - 08:33:19 CST