Re: Perl DBD::ODBC to remote Oracle, need a clue

From: Peter J. Holzer <hjp_at_enkur.wsr.ac.at>
Date: 28 Jan 2000 18:09:32 GMT

On Thu, 27 Jan 2000 09:00:30 -0800, cbantzer <christian_bantzer_at_psmfc.org> wrote:

>Ok, I don't have much of a clue, and am caught between two systems here
>
>1) running Oracle, DBA has no real experience with Perl. 2) having Perl
>with DBI installed, sysadmin doesn't have Oracle experience.
>
>I would like to run a Perl script on 2) accessing the Oracle database
>on 1). Sysadmin 2) tells me in order to install/compile DBD::Oracle
>Oracle needs to be installed on the system. People at 1) tell me about
>SQL-net and ODBC.

Both are right. Of course you don't need a complete Oracle installation, but you need at least the shared libaries for an oracle client.

What you need exactly depends on your system.

On Windows (where ODBC is the standard API for database access), you can probably install sqlnet and then use an DBD::ODBC. However, I have never tried this as I don't use perl on Windows (yet).

On Unix, theoretically you need only a single shared library (libclntsh.so) and a config file (tnsnames.ora), but to compile DBD::Oracle you also need the include files and maybe a few other libraries.

You may find someone with the same system as you have, build DBD::Oracle there and then copy the required files to your system.

I have thought of building an RPM for Redhat Linux with a working DBD::Oracle to make distributing it on our PCs easier. I don't know if I could distribute this, though.

        hp

--

   _  | Peter J. Holzer             | Nobody should ever have to be
|_|_) | Sysadmin WSR / Obmann LUGA  | ashamed if they have a secret love
__/   | http://wsrx.wsr.ac.at/~hjp/ | actually work.  -- Donald E. Knuth