Perl DBD::ODBC to remote Oracle, need a clue

From: cbantzer <christian_bantzer_at_psmfc.org>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 09:00:30 -0800

Ok, I don't have much of a clue, and am caught between two systems here

  1. running Oracle, DBA has no real experience with Perl.
  2. having Perl with DBI installed, sysadmin doesn't have Oracle experience.

I would like to run a Perl script on 2) accessing the Oracle database on 1).
Sysadmin 2) tells me in order to install/compile DBD::Oracle Oracle needs to be installed on the system.
People at 1) tell me about SQL-net and ODBC.

Purchasing Oracle for 2) is not really an option. What do I need to tell these admins to get the 2 systems talking to each other?
Would using DBD::ODBC work? Is there a way to get DBD::Oracle installed without having to buy Oracle?

Thanks so much

  Christian Received on Thu Jan 27 2000 - 11:00:30 CST