Re: How to associate a rowid with a table?

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 19:05:29 -0000

The method depends on the version
of Oracle.

Under version 7, the rowid is present as

    file_number . row number in block . block number

You can query dba_extents with the file number and block number

    file_id = {your file number}
and {your block number} between block_id and block_id + blocks

Under version 8, you can use functions in the dbms_utilities package to extract the file and block numbers from the rowid.

--

Jonathan Lewis
Yet another Oracle-related web site: http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk