tablescans vs indexed scan

From: SC <s_c_99_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 16:45:48 +0000

Hello,

Our database is going very slow (Oracle 7.3.3.6, Open VMS-7.1) and we discovered that many queries are performing tablescans rather than indexed scans. This is increasing Input/Output drastically and hence the database is very slow.

Could anyone please advise me how can I make the query to use indexes? I am sure that the indexes exist as we have always been using them. So why the performance is going down NOW ? Will rebuilding indexes be any help? Also how can i detect which indexes are used and which ones arent?

Please Help. (please send me an email at s_c_99_at_hotmail.com as well)

Thanks.

SC. Received on Thu Jan 20 2000 - 10:45:48 CST