Re: tablescans vs indexed scan

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 19:23:14 +0800

SC wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Our database is going very slow (Oracle 7.3.3.6, Open VMS-7.1)
> and we discovered that many queries are performing tablescans
> rather than indexed scans. This is increasing
> Input/Output drastically and hence the database is very slow.
>
> Could anyone please advise me how can I make the query to
> use indexes? I am sure that the indexes exist as we have
> always been using them. So why the performance is going
> down NOW ? Will rebuilding indexes be any help?
> Also how can i detect which indexes are used and
> which ones arent?
>
> Please Help. (please send me an email at s_c_99_at_hotmail.com
> as well)
>
> Thanks.
>
> SC.

Check the statistics on the tables and the optimizer mode..

CHOOSE leans towards full scans
FIRST_ROWS will lean toward index use

You could always go back to rule mode but this is probably not the best option.

HTH
--

Connor McDonald

"Some days you're the pigeon, and some days you're the statue." Received on Thu Jan 20 2000 - 05:23:14 CST