Re: Oracle, named pipes & fbackup

From: Ken Pizzini <ken_at_halcyon.com>
Date: 17 Jan 2000 09:46:03 GMT

On Fri, 14 Jan 2000 21:34:41 +1100,
Stephen Hearn <stephen_hearn_at_email.com> wrote:
>is it possible to have fbackup read from a named pipe?

I don't know, but I don't think it matters for this:

> I need to write
>a large-ish table (~50GB) from an Oracle 8 db then read it back in (to
>re-org it - don't ask, I'm not the DBA).

A named pipe isn't going to be able to hold all that data, so you're going to need to either stuff the backup somewhere or have the read-back-in happen to another table while the first table is still dumping. Either way you'll need about 50 GB of storage (wheter disk, tape, or other).

                --Ken Pizzini Received on Mon Jan 17 2000 - 03:46:03 CST