Info on making Listener/PO 8.0.4.0 & Win98 work

From: Roy Richardson <royster_at_erols.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2000 22:28:10 GMT

To fellow sufferers with Win98 & listener problems.

OK, I got mine to work, but it was through much pain & suffering. First of all, I finally ended up with version 8.0.4.0.0, the version I had 8.0.3.0.0 & was really giving me problems with the listener & I obtained the 8.0.4.0.0 from a class I'm in & gave it a try.....same problems, then I got the updated Y2K compliant installer from the Oracle ftp site, but different problems.

It turns out, the Developer 2000 program files & database program files must reside in different 'homes' or directory/folder from each other. I was able to do this by using the updated installer to first install the Developer2000 files into one directory, then used the 'setup.exe' program included with 8.0.4.0.0 to install the database into a separate location. Also, I came across this info in one of the oracle usenet groups, you may have seen it also.

********This is the info **********

From: "sc" <shaoc_at_bms.com>
Newsgroups: comp.databases.oracle.tools Subject: Read this if you have trouble with Oracle 8 personal and dev2k
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 12:40:52 -0500

I figured out how by the help of several friends from this group, one guy even gave me his phone number asking me to call him and helped me through all the process. I now post this for thanking all the nice guys who helped me. You are welcome to mail me if you need my help.

Installing oracle 8.0.4.0.0 personal edition with developer 2000, 6.0 on window 98. All other combination may or may not work. You need to try.

  1. Install developer 2000, 6.0 first to default directory, Orawin95, reboot your computer.
  2. Install oracle 8.0.4 to directory Orawin98, giving it a name, I used "charlie', through out the process, you have to use the identical name, that is critical.
  3. Go to start/setting/control panel/network, if you do not have tcp/ip installed, install it now, if you do, highlight tcp/ip, click property. Select NDS tab, select enable DNS, at the host area, type "charlie", leave domain empty, reboot your computer after you finish.
  4. Config your database listener Go to start/programs/oracle for win 95(charlie)/net80 assistant, a window will pop up, at the right window, select Listener, you will see a ear, double click it, you will see a new window, go through all the tab munu, at location, address 1, database name use "charlie", path use C:\orawin98, port use 2481, Address II, everything is the same except port use 1521(default), go to File/Save, close Net80 assistant.
  5. Start listener: Go to Dos window, type LSNRCTL80, return, at LSNRCTL>, type Start, Listener should start successfully, if not, you need go back to Net80 assistant to config.
  6. Copy file "tnsnames.ora" in directory C:\orawin98\net80\admin to C:\orawin95\net80\admin.

7)you are done.

        end of copied info

I then made two shortcuts to put in the start menu for listener start
& listener stop, they work fine.

there were a few differences with my setup, the developer install didn't make a net80 directory/folder, but a 'network' directory/folder which I used for step #6 above. Also, the database installation didn't ask for a 'name' but something else, default domain or something. There were three items, one was the block to change to your selected name, 'charlie' used above, I chose 'databitch' as that's how I was feeling at the time. The 2nd was a path statement for where to install the database, it was first grayed out, but when the 1st block was changed, it became editable & then the other 'home' folder name was chosen. As for step 6 above, I copied all three files
& things are working OK.

Another place for info, which is different than that above can be found on the oracle www site

http://www.oracle.com/support/products/dev/windows/html/tips1.html

I didn't try this, but it looks like it may have worked on the installation where the developer files & database files were for the same 'home' location. Either way, it's a real mess IMHO that Oracle has so many different flavors of the same product. Also, if you're so inclined, the latest version PO8i is available for windows98 from the oracle store WWW site, but when you go through the steps to order it, the OS choice is NT only, so........ perhaps a phone call would get the Windows98 version.

Hope this helps those of you having the same problems with listener startup. My wife is very pleased I've finally gotten it to work. Peace reigns again.

Roy Richardson
royster_at_erols.com Received on Sun Jan 16 2000 - 16:28:10 CST