Re: PL/SQL help needed

From: Ed Prochak <prochak_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2000 16:12:30 GMT

In article <85521f$s4b$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   bryanmunday_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> DEar all,
>
> I hope I'm in the right group, but here goes.
>
> I'm trying to get started with PPL/SEl so does
> anyone know of any good PL/SQL sites?
> particularly those with basic/tutorial
> information on them.
>
> What I really want to know is, is there an easy
> way to do something like the accept command from
> SQLplus in PL/SQL?
>
> Any help.advice is gratefully recieved.
>
> Thanks
>
> Bryan
> bryan.munday_at_parexel.com

Not easily. Keep in mind this difference:  SQL/PLUS is a client program that runs on your machine and thus has access to Input/Output. Meanwhile PL/SQL runs in the database server (whether that is a physically different machine or not) and has limited I/O.

If you want user interaction, then you perhaps really want to write a client program which can be done using SQL Plus, C or other supporter 3GL, or Oracle developer.

If you prefer SQL Plus, then write a SQL script that accepts an Input value and then invokes the PL/SQL code, passing the value as a parameter. This works for either PL/SQL functions or procedures (just remember there's a difference in how you invoke functions and procedures).

Get either of the PL/SQL books (the one from Oracle Press or the one from O'Reilly)

I'm not sure off hand if the Oracle site has tutorials, but check them out too. (www.oracle.com)

HTH --
Ed Prochak
Magic Interface, Ltd.
ORACLE Development, conversions, training and support 440-498-3700 magic_at_interfacefamily.com

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Fri Jan 07 2000 - 10:12:30 CST