Re: Creating a new Database on ORACLE 8.0.4 for Sun Solaris 2.6

From: GC <johnny_sanga_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2000 01:24:10 GMT

Domenico Navarra wrote:

> I've a SUN E250 with Oracle 8.0.4, i've try to build a new Database with a
> new Instnce, but when i run the script to create the istance the system
> return this message:
>
> SVRMGR> ORA-00443: background process "PMON" did not start
> ORA-09922: Can't spawn process - background log directory not created
> properly
> SVR4 Error: 2: No such file or directory

%oerr ORA 00443
00443, 00000, "background process \"%s\" did not start" // *Cause: The specified process did not start. // *Action: Ensure that the executable image is in the correct place with
// the correct protections, and that there is enough memory. %oerr ORA 09922
09922, 00000, "Can't spawn process - background log directory not created properly"

// *Cause:  ORACLE was unable to spawn a background process because the
//          directory that will hold trace files of the background
//          processes was not created properly.
// *Action: Examine the directory pointed to by the initialization
//          parameter "background_dump_dest". Make sure that all of the
//          following is true:
//          1. The directory exists.
//          2. The name indeed points to a directory, and is not a file.
//          3. The directory is accessible and writable to the ORACLE
user.

It would appear that 8.0.4 did not install properly. Besides this new instance you are attempting to create, do you have any other instances that are succesfully running? If you don't have any other database instances installed, reinstall 8.0.4 and see if that resolves the issue.

Cheers,
GC Received on Tue Jan 04 2000 - 19:24:10 CST