Re: A question of DB Design.

From: Mark A. Framness <mframness_at_NOSPAM.lakefield.net>
Date: 23 Dec 1999 03:17:12 GMT

On Thu, 23 Dec 1999 00:28:05, "Van Messner" <vmessner_at_netaxis.com> wrote:

> If this is a personal contacts system for light home use, then one address
> might barely do. For any other use you should allow for multiple
> addresses - home, work, etc. etc. - just as you'd allow for multiple phone
> numbers, multiple email addresses and so on.

I am concerned mostly about the primary mailing address. My design does take into account multiple e-mail addresses, phone numbers, homepage addresses, ICQs etc. A table called e-contacts.

> Spouses should not be linked as such. Each should have his/her own entry.
> What will happen when your friends get divorced?

Then the link gets nulled out.

The situation that has me concerned here is that if the spouse is someone I do not know, .

> Each person may have more than one relationship to you. Business associate,
> friend, relative, supplier, service provider etc. Allow for multiples.

Multiple relationships to myself have been designed!

> Since you've already tried one cut at a design and realized it needed work,
> you're probably ready to do a little reading. Try "Data Modeling
> Esseentials" by Simsion. If you're going to use Oracle you may as well
> start with an intelligent database design.

Thanks for your kindly suggestions.

From: Mark A. Framness
http://netnet.net/~farmer/
mframness_at_lakefield.net

Go Pack Go!
Oh balsam tree oh balsam tree I see you when I deer hunt! Brian Framness Received on Wed Dec 22 1999 - 21:17:12 CST