Re: A question of DB Design.

From: Van Messner <vmessner_at_netaxis.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 19:28:05 -0500

If this is a personal contacts system for light home use, then one address might barely do. For any other use you should allow for multiple addresses - home, work, etc. etc. - just as you'd allow for multiple phone numbers, multiple email addresses and so on.

Spouses should not be linked as such. Each should have his/her own entry. What will happen when your friends get divorced?

Each person may have more than one relationship to you. Business associate, friend, relative, supplier, service provider etc. Allow for multiples.

Since you've already tried one cut at a design and realized it needed work, you're probably ready to do a little reading. Try "Data Modeling Esseentials" by Simsion. If you're going to use Oracle you may as well start with an intelligent database design.

Van

Mark A. Framness <mframness_at_NOSPAM.lakefield.net> wrote in message news:8Sd1uPikEGru-pn2-rZwd6MUvnmji_at_www.framnett.net...
> Hi!
>
> I am designing a personal contacts management system using an Oracle 7.3
DB