Re: dd/mm/yy - fixed default?

From: <dagaalo_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 12:00:17 GMT

There are three level of seting up your parameters in oracle.

The lowest level is the nls_database_parameters then nls_instance parameters
and then nls_session_parameters

Oracle always stores date values in dd-mon-yyyy hh:mi:ss format. The format that we set here is for query and insert.

It is always advisble to strat from the lowest level(nls_database) and set the date format as dd.mon.rrrr. And move your way upwards
In article <3859930E.2D7615A0_at_uswest.net>,   Marc Parkinson <marcpark_at_uswest.net> wrote:
> If you want the script to still only use 2 digit
year (This is a bad idea)
> then in the init.ora file change the

NLS_DATE_FORMAT='DD-MON-RR'
> the RR will set 00 - 49 as 2000 not 1900. Your
best bet is still to change the
> format
> to 'DD-MON-YYYY', or something along those
lines.

> Marc G. Parkinson
>
> james wigley wrote:
>
> > Is it inevitable that and SQL scripts which
queries a date field in an
> > Oracle database will return with the format
dd/mm/yy, unless the to_char(,)
> > function is used - or is there a global
default or setting that will prevent
> > me from having to update a load of old
scripts?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Mon Dec 20 1999 - 06:00:17 CST