Re: well developed system

From: William Adams <wcadams_at_gotakeahike.akc.org>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 14:18:45 -0500

IMHO:
Having been a DBA for only 6 months with just two classes to my credit...
But having 7 years development experience in RDBMS enviornments including UNIX, Windows & Windows NT....

In a utopie where there actually is a 'well developed' system, you will still need some basic maintenance. You almost will always have growth of some sort, tables that need analyzed and such.

However, almost all these basic tasks, as well as the more involved aspects such as replication, can be automated if you know the data dictionary well enough and know how to write smart programs that build their own DDL & DML SQL based upon common trigger points. EX: You can write programs that automatically fix chained_rows and extent-problems.

However, as I have quicky found out, the DBA's job is not just about maintenance. There are boundless tuning opportunities (which of course might not exist in your 'well developed' system), there are those pesky developers to frustrate err, I mean help out, there usually is some form of new development going on which opens up all sorts of design/development tasks with Data Modeling, and of course there is that whole thing about backups to consider.