Re: Help! Backup & Recovery in Oracle8 enterprise edition

From: TAD <smokingdragon_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1999 05:12:43 +0400

Sorry but I need to understand this better.

For simple backup purposes, wouldn't an export be a good idea. We do not require the database to go back to say 1:35 am last wednesday. Our requirement is simply to restore the database back to what it was on Thursday morning. Our system is not usually used at night so we can safely shut it down.

Wouldn't an export be better in this case.

Why would we need to apply redologs, if we have a full export ? I thought that the main purpose of an archive redologs is to bring the dbf's up to date. But in the case of an export we do not have this problem.

BTW, what is a "read-consistency failure".

I would really appreciate an answer.