Re: What happened to speed?

From: Ed Prochak <prochak_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 18:15:52 GMT

Ben,

As Sy hinted in his message, you can update the statistics used by the cost based optimizer by running an ANALYZE command on the tables. Your next step would be to run an EXPLAIN PLAN to get an idea of how the query is executing. (In fact, running EXPLAIN PLAN before and after the ANALYZE may point out that statistics were the issue.)

As hoang-vu points out, there is no general answer. Tuning is application, query, and data specific. Tuning can be fun (I like it), but it can be very frustrating too. Be creative. Often there's more than one way to write a query, and some of those alternatives are faster. (At least until the data changes again.

Good luck.
  Ed

In article <3853C6CD.2DC07937_at_freesurf.ch>,   hoang-vu_at_freesurf.ch wrote:
> Ben Heuer wrote:
> It is impossible to give any correct response for your question if we
> don't see your query.
> By the way, see how to limit the number of joins between your two
tables
> Other wise it may be 34000 * 17000 (instead of 3000 * 3000) joins and
> your database server will use secondary memory so very costly in
speed.

> > Hello all,
> >
> > I have two tables which I am joining inside my SQL and everything
works
> > like an express train when these tables have 3000 records each. Now
> > when I have 34000 and 17000 records respectively, it is VERY slow
> > (takes half a minute to even begin to return the resultset!)
> >
> > All the indices are in place!
> >
> > I would really be obliged if someone could tell me what I can do to
> > increase the speed! Is there a site I can visit that tells me how to
> > "tune" the database?
> >
> > Thanks a lot in advance!
> > Ben
> >
> > * Sent from RemarQ http://www.remarq.com The Internet's Discussion
Network *
> > The fastest and easiest way to search and participate in Usenet -
Free!

--
Ed Prochak
Magic Interface, Ltd.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Mon Dec 13 1999 - 12:15:52 CST