Re: rollback segment keeps growing

From: <markp7832_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 1999 15:02:35 GMT

In article <82lj4j$1vg$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   blop_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a simple perl script that updates about 1 meg of datas in an
> oracle 8.1.5 DB.
>
> Each time I run the script, the datas are updated indeed but I noticed
> the rollback segment grows one meg more and is never purged even after
> restarting the DB !
> Eventually I get a "can't extend rbs" error and of course setting it
> auto extend wouldn't be a solution as it would end up by filling the
> entire hard drive.
>
> So how can I purge that RBS and how can I prevent it from keeping
> outdated datas after the transaction has ended ?
>
> Thanks for any help,
>
> Arnaud.

There are a couple of things you can do: 1) Set you optimal parameter which should probably equal you next extents X minimun extent number and your initial and next extent sizes should match for rbs segments

This will provide automatic release of unused extents

2) Starting with ver 7.3 you can manually issue command alter rollback segment xxx shink to n K|M;

By default, statement without to clause, the command will shrink the segment to your optimal setting

3) The oldest method, drop and recreate your segments. --
Mark D. Powell -- The only advice that counts is the advice that  you follow so follow your own advice --

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Wed Dec 08 1999 - 09:02:35 CST