Recovery

From: Joey <a_little_toe_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 1999 14:05:42 +0800

Hi,

If a DB is in noarchivelog mode, is restoring the fulldb the only option ?

I have a DB which spans across 3 partitions say /d1, /d2, /d3. The story goes that the db was shut down.(intented for maintenance of disk) Only /d2 was backed up.

Our daily backup cron was accidently overlooked and started the DB after it was backed up.
The sys adm shutdown the db again and began his work on /d2 partition. When done he restored the /d2 from the backup.

Naturally, the db cannot start as /d1, /d3 is not longer consistent with /d2 (the backup version) as
the db was re-started after the backup.

We are sure the DB has no transactions during the whole maintenance. Is there still a way to open the DB without the need to restore the previous day backup ?
and will the DB be in a consistent state if it is able to ? Received on Thu Nov 25 1999 - 00:05:42 CST