Re: Recovery

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 1999 17:32:38 +0800

Joey wrote:

> Hi,
>
> If a DB is in noarchivelog mode, is restoring the fulldb the only option ?
>
> I have a DB which spans across 3 partitions say /d1, /d2, /d3.
> The story goes that the db was shut down.(intented for maintenance of disk)
> Only /d2 was backed up.
>
> Our daily backup cron was accidently overlooked and started the DB after it
> was backed up.
> The sys adm shutdown the db again and began his work on /d2 partition.
> When done he restored the /d2 from the backup.
>
> Naturally, the db cannot start as /d1, /d3 is not longer consistent with /d2
> (the backup version) as
> the db was re-started after the backup.
>
> We are sure the DB has no transactions during the whole maintenance.
> Is there still a way to open the DB without the need to restore the previous
> day backup ?
> and will the DB be in a consistent state if it is able to ?

I've seen places where inconsistent backups have worked when restored - but why risk it ? No support from oracle, you never are really sure that things won't go wrong in a few days time etc...

I'd go back to the full backup...
--

Connor McDonald

"Some days you're the pigeon, and some days you're the statue." Received on Thu Nov 25 1999 - 03:32:38 CST