Re: From one DATABASE to another, not TABLE!

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 07:46:37 -0500

A copy of this was sent to Billy Collins <billy_collins_at_my-deja.com> (if that email address didn't require changing) On Wed, 17 Nov 1999 09:10:29 GMT, you wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I need to port data from ONE database to another. One is an old Oracle
>7.3 database, called DB_ABC. The other is a new Oracle 8.05 called
>DB_CDF.
>
>They are under two "different environments".
>
>Now I need to port some data from the ld one to another..
>
>What are the options available to me?

o dump and load (if data is simple enough, you can use sqlplus to create a comma delimited flat file and sqlldr to load it -- see the web site in my url for a script that does this for you).

o exp from the source database. imp on the target database.

o create an 8.0.5 instance, create a database link to to the 7.3 instance and "create table as select * from table_at_7.3_database".

o create an 8.0.5 instance, use the SQLPlus copy command to copy the data from database to database

o perform a cold backup of the 7.3 instance, restore to new location and 'migrate' it (only works if the 'environments' are homogenous hardware platforms -- eg: SUN Sparc to SUN Sparc, intel NT to intel NT).

are some of the ways...

>1) Save the data (export) into a temporary text file, then import it
>back.
>2) Export in some other format (does oracle have its own?) and then
>import it from thenew database..
>3) Some other mechanism I am not familiar with. I considered using
>Oracle's upgrade utlity, but I am not updating the database, I am
>porting data!
>
>Can I use PL/SQL to do this in any way? If Yes, what commands could I
>look at?
>
>Would really appreciate any help!
>
>Thanks a lot in advance!
>Billy
>

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
>Before you buy.

Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle Corporation Received on Wed Nov 17 1999 - 06:46:37 CST