Re: Oracle Transparent Gateways

From: Steve McDaniels <steve.mcdaniels_at_sierra.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 11:57:30 -0800

I running an Oracle DB on HP UX,
Oracle gateway on NT
connecting to MS-SQL 6.5 server.

Although Oracle names the Gateway as "transparent" (implying that it's transparent to the Oracle sql/procedures, etc,) it's not.

Commits / rollbacks are not under Oracle's control (duh!)

The gateway uses an ODBC connection. So, anything you could do with say, MS-Access (via odbc) you can do with your oracle connection. (You can't use triggers, for example, but you can execute stored procedures)

You create a database link to the tables on the SQL server via the gateway.

As with any odbc connection, it is very slow. It works, but performance is so incredibly bad, to do a complex join over the gateway.

We use the gateway simply as the "interface" to the SQL db. We use record posting date/timestamps to determine which SQL records have been posting since our last "pull"; we "manually" replicate SQL tables on the Oracle side, THEN process the records.

Watch out for treatment of INTs (numbers), varchars (CHARS), etc.