Re: Oracle Transparent Gateways

From: Bill Manry <BManry_at_nomail.us.oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 03:55:24 GMT

On Tue, 16 Nov 1999 11:57:30 -0800, "Steve McDaniels" <steve.mcdaniels_at_sierra.com> wrote:
>Although Oracle names the Gateway as "transparent"
>(implying that it's transparent to the Oracle sql/procedures, etc,)
>it's not.
>
>Commits / rollbacks are not under Oracle's control (duh!)

Just to clarify, Oracle has a number of Transparent Gateways providing connectivity to a wide range of non-Oracle data sources. Most of them use the native connection interface of the target data source (as opposed to generic ODBC). Where the target data source provides adequate synchronization facilities (usually in the form of "two-phase commit") the commits and rollbacks are indeed under Oracle's control. Even with some data sources that do not have (or publish) a two-phase commit interface we are able to provide a reasonable facsimile under the covers.

Bill Manry - IBM Products Division - Oracle Corp. USA These are my opinions, not Oracle's. Received on Tue Nov 16 1999 - 21:55:24 CST