cannot fetch data from table just after inserting by file upload

From: Roland Baier <rbaier_at_gwdg.de>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 16:11:52 +0100

Hello

in one of our applications, we are using Thomas Kyte's OWA replacement cartridge to perform uploads of PDF-files into the file system. Now, we are going to migrate to Oracle 8.04 (and then 8.1.5i) and OAS 4.07 and try to do without the OWARepl, but ...

File uploads with OAS 4.07 unchangably go to the OAS content table (OWS_CONTENT) in the WEBSYS schema and are stored in the column CONTENT of datatype LONG RAW.
To unload them from there into a file, i use a C-program (derived from the sample code in Metalink Doc. No. 50759.1, from the function "fetch_into_file" mainly) which will be called from the PL/SQL procedure processing the data from the upload form (so, whenever some application user uploads a file to the database, it should instantly be unloaded and stored in the file system).
This C-program does not work when called up to operate on the freshly uploaded data (that's what we want it to do). It DOES work, if it is called with parameters for unloading a previously existing row (not the one just created by the file upload). It DOES work, if at first only the upload is allowed to take place, and the unload procedure is called later manually. It seems like there had to elapse some time after the file upload before the uploaded data can be retrieved?

In the C-program, the following OCI functions all return OCI_SUCCESS:   OCIHandleAlloc
  OCIStmtPrepare
  OCIBindByPos
  OCIStmtExecute
  OCIDefineByPos
before
  OCIStmtFetch
returns OCI_NO_DATA

Could anyone give me a hint what's going wrong here?

Thanks in advance
Roland Baier

Gesellschaft fuer wissenschaftliche Datenverarbeitung mbH Goettingen
       Am Fassberg, 37077 Goettingen        Fax: 0551/21119
Dr. Roland Baier    Tel.: +49 551/201-1822     email: rbaier_at_gwdg.de