Re: Help!!!! How to use oraenv file

From: QuestionExchange <USENET_at_questionexchange.com>
Date: 2 Nov 1999 19:42:21 GMT

> Hi all,
>
> In UNIX, I found the document that the oraenv file help me to
provide a
> central location that can be modified to change the
environmental parameters
> for a system where there are a lot of users. However, I
really can't catch
> the meaning in the documentation. Anyone can help me, and
give me some
> hints.
>
> Thank you in advance.
>
> Regards,
> Mike

Mike,
The ORAENV file is designed to perform the same kinds of functions as your .profile. Essentially it sets up the necessary enviornment variables needed by Oracle/SQL etc. in order to run properly. Without this file you may encounter problems running Oracle.
Additionally the ORAENV provides a default template for you to be able to apply this across multiple accounts. For example if you want oracle and root to be able to access Oracle you need to have your ORAENV properly setup and refrenced as the last line of your .profile.
Any users logging in without this line in their .profile will not be able to do things like access multiple instances of the database, login to SQLPlus etc....
Hope this helps!
BJ
PS:
As an aside I have included a list of supported commands from Oracle8 and examples of their usage for your reference. NLS_LANG
Specifies the language and character set used for output. Syntax language_territory.characterset Example french_france.we8dec
ORA_NLS
Points to the directory where languages and character sets are stored. Set to $ORACLE_HOME/ocommon/nls/admin/data ORACLE_BASE
Specifies the base of the Oracle directory structure for OFA-compliant databases.
Syntax directory_path
Example /mount_point/app/oracle
ORACLE_HELP
Specifies the directory containing help files.

Syntax directory_path
Example $ORACLE_HOME/help/admin/resource ORACLE_HOME
Specifies the directory containing the Oracle software distribution.
Syntax directory_path
Example /mount_point/app/oracle/product/release_number ORACLE_LPSTAT
Specifies the command used to query the printer queue. Syntax command
Example lpq -Pdest_printer
ORACLE_PAGER
Specifies the UNIX pager to be used by Oracle products Syntax command
Example more
ORACLE_PATH
Specifies the search pathname for files used by Oracle applications, such as SQL*Plus. If not specified, the application reads from and writes to the current directory. Syntax colon-separated list of directories directory:directory:directory
Example /u01/oracle/adhoc/sqlplus:.
Note: The period adds the current working directory to the search path.
ORACLE_SID
Specifies the Oracle System Identifier. Syntax The string of numbers and characters must begin with a letter. For more information, see the Oracle8 Installation Guide for your platform.
Example SAL1
ORACLE_TERM
Specifies the terminal type identifier. Used by the Installer and Oracle products to determine the correct Toolkit II (.res) resource file. If not set, the value of the operating-system variable TERM is used. Syntax string of characters
Example vt100
ORACLE_TERMINAL
Specifies an additional directory to search for Toolkit II (.res) resource files.
Syntax directory_name
Example $ORACLE_HOME/guicommon/tk21/admin/terminal ORACLE_TRACE
Turns on tracing of Bourne shell scripts during install. If set to T, many Oracle shell scripts run with set-x flag on.

ORAENV_ASK
Controls whether (c)oraenv prompts for $ORACLE_SID or $ORACLE_HOME. If set to NO (c)oraenv does not prompt and, if set to anything else, it does.
Syntax string
SDD_BIN
Specifies the path to the directory containing binary executables.
Syntax directory_path
Example $ORACLE_HOME/bin
TNS_ADMIN
Sets the directory containing the Oracle Net8 configuration files.
Syntax directory_path
Example $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin
TWO_TASK
Sets the default Oracle Net8 connect string descriptor alias defined in the tnsnames.ora file.
Syntax available network alias
Example t:host:oracle

--
  This answer is courtesy of QuestionExchange.com   http://www.questionexchange.com/showUsenetGuest.jhtml?ans_id=6880&cus_id=USENET&qtn_id=6906 Received on Tue Nov 02 1999 - 13:42:21 CST