Re: Server Maintained Unique Index

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 1999 08:53:15 -0500

A copy of this was sent to "Simon Miles" <simon.miles_at_no.bigfoot.spam.com> (if that email address didn't require changing) On Mon, 1 Nov 1999 11:39:36 -0000, you wrote:

>First of all please excuse my ignorance for what I believe is a trivial
>Oracle problem but I scanned several sources without much luck...
>
>I have an application currently running on MS SQL Server that has several
>tables with an IDENTITY column. The column is a server maintained, unique
>identifier on the table.
>
>I would like to create the same functionality in Oracle but am unsure of the
>required syntax. So far I have got as far as creating a sequence but wasn't
>sure how to script the trigger.
>
>BTW. I only need a unique column on the table for integrity reasons. I
>want the column to be looked after by the server and don't actually care
>what the values are.
>
>Could anyone please help (especially if there is an easier way of doing
>this!!!)
>
>Simon.

create sequence my_seq; -- only need one of these / database if you want.

create or replace trigger my_trigger -- one of these / table... before insert on my_table for each row
begin

   select my_seq.nextval into :new.my_key_column from dual; end;
/

Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle Corporation Received on Mon Nov 01 1999 - 07:53:15 CST