Server Maintained Unique Index

From: Simon Miles <simon.miles_at_no.bigfoot.spam.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 1999 11:39:36 -0000

First of all please excuse my ignorance for what I believe is a trivial Oracle problem but I scanned several sources without much luck...

I have an application currently running on MS SQL Server that has several tables with an IDENTITY column. The column is a server maintained, unique identifier on the table.

I would like to create the same functionality in Oracle but am unsure of the required syntax. So far I have got as far as creating a sequence but wasn't sure how to script the trigger.

BTW. I only need a unique column on the table for integrity reasons. I want the column to be looked after by the server and don't actually care what the values are.

Could anyone please help (especially if there is an easier way of doing this!!!)

Simon. Received on Mon Nov 01 1999 - 05:39:36 CST