Re: Oracle compared to Access

From: Steve McDaniels <steve.mcdaniels_at_sierra.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 16:50:47 -0700

I somewhat disagree with your assessment of these two tools.

I have several Oracle instances/sites and I still routinely use ACCESS. Each are
tools which best serve differing problems.

I have used ACCESS for some very large (for ACCESS) datasets (7 million rows).
When I need to do some crosstabs, I download into ACCESS; compare this with the
time it takes to determine the headings using DECODE in Oracle and produce the SQL etc.

We profile some 15 million consumer registrations (15MM x 15MM for Cross-registration alone)
No one in their right mind could/should consider doing this in ACCESS; (Oracle is sweet!)

Each is a tool best suited for specific problems.