Re: Oracle compared to Access

From: Sybrand Bakker <postmaster_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 19:35:27 +0200

You try to compare two products which are incomparable. Oracle is a client/server based product, Access isn't In Oracle you can distribute your database on several disks, in Access a database consist always of one single file In Oracle you have after image journalling aka redo log, in Access there is no such thing.
I could go on for a while. Honestly compared to Oracle Access is a toy. I must admit I like the frontend part of it, but my experience (I have been working with it for 4 years) tells me any Access database of more than 64 M will crash a few times per year. If an Oracle database crashes (usually caused by power dip and hardware malfunction) you can recover from it.

Hth,

--
Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA