Re: Need to change data file paths

From: Gayle L. Masters <gayle_l_masters_at_email.mobil.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 15:26:17 -0400

You can create a new controlfile, using 'alter database backup controlfile to trace;'. Shut down the database normal or immediate. Copy the files to the new host in the directories you want. Edit the trace file that was generated by the backup command to indicate the new location of all the data files and place it on the new server. The trace file will have 'reuse database', change this to 'set database'. Change 'noresetlogs' to 'resetlogs'. You can delete all lines down to the 'create controlfile ...' statement, and all lines after the ';' after the datafile names. You can also change any parameters such as maxlogfiles, maxdatafiles to different numbers at this time. You can also change the size of redo logs, add or remove redo groups/members at this time. You can name the file anything, such as control.ctl

In svrmgr, enter 'startup nomount'
@control.ctl
alter database open resetlogs;