Please help with a Forms 6.0 poplist problem

From: Scott G. <me_at_me.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 19:32:03 GMT

Hi,

I posted a question about this before and the response I got does not work. Here is the original question:

> Hi,
>
> I have a poplist on a form. From this form, we call another form to
> add values to this poplist. So we do this all dynamically and
> repopulate the list upon return. This works great.
>
> Our problem is that because we had to make the poplist a non-database
> item to make the above work, records queried do not show a value
> in this item. We need to find out how to select a value from the list
> and display it (select it).
>
> We know we want to do this on a post-query trigger. We just
> don't know how to do it. Our poplist is populated with all the
> possible values, but we can't figure out out to select one value.
>
> If anybody has suggestions, please help.
>
> Thanks,
> Scott G.
> IKEA North America

Here is the response I got:

In the POST-QUERY trigger in the Block where your PopList item is, you have to do:
- -

BEGIN     :pop_list_item := :item_with_the_value;

END; Hope that helped

Arnaldo
Portuga

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------l

That does not quite work. But maybe I have something wrong with my form. Here is some additional info from the property pallet:

The poplist is of type char with a 40 max lenght. No Elements in List
No mapping of of other values.
The Case Restriction is mixed.
No initial value.
not required.

So just to test things, I put this in my post-query trigger:

:system_block.system_lead_id := '999';

I expected to see 999 as the value selected in the poplist, but I get a FRM-40212 Invalid Value for field error.

The help says this is caused by:

  1. The value is not of the proper data type
  2. The value does not match any of the list of acceptable values.
  3. For a text field, the value does not match the specified range.
	Action:
	Retry with another value.

I tried 10 wich is a valid system_lead_id from the system_info table. I also tried 'Murphy, Todd' because we really want to display the name here. But all three values gave this same error.

Anybody ever deal with this type of situation before? Any ideas?

Thanks,
Scott G. Received on Wed Oct 27 1999 - 14:32:03 CDT