Re: Oracle on Linux

From: George Dau <gedau_at_isa.mim.com.au>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1999 04:42:47 GMT

"Eddie King" <eddie_king_at_email.msn.com> wrote:

]I tried to install Oracle 8 on a Slackware box today, but I got several
]compilation errors. The box is at work and I'm at home now so I can't post
]the specific error, but IIRC it was trying to make plsql or sqlplus and the
]error was something about "ld cannot find lnsl" or something like that.
]Sorry I can't be more
]specific. I guess what I really want to know is: if anyone out there has
]installed Oracle on Slackware successfully, can you give me a step by step
]guide to how its done? I'd really appreciate it!

Sorry no step by step - I messed around for days with it before getting it to work. One step that did make a big difference that I do remember was getting lnsl and maybe some other library from a RedHat box and copying that to my Slackware. Also, I think I gave up relinking and just ran the binaries from the Oracle distribuition. I put my notes on the Oracle TechNet site at the time 8.0.5 was first released. You will need at least lnsl from RedHat. And just to keep you going, I'll confirm that it is possible to get Oracle running on Slackware.

]Another question: can I only install sqlplus and not the Oracle rdbms? All
]I really want to do is query an oracle 7.3 database running on an Alpha
]server (Digital Unix 4.0d) using sqlplus on my Linux box. I don't really
]want an Oracle database on my Linux box, if I don't have to have one to make
]sqlplus work.

That is definitly true. There is no need to install any sort of default database. There are opitons for that in the orainst during the installation process.

]We have sqlplus for Win95 installed and we can query the Alpha/Oracle
]database from Win95. I want to be able to do queries from Linux too! Of
]course, I could always telnet into the Alpha from Linux and sqlplus myself
]silly, but thats not what I want to do.

Yep, that works too.
--
 ,-,_|\ George Dau - Unix (Solaris, DEC Unix, Linux), Oracle, Internet. __

/    * \ Home: gedau_at_pobox.com         !  Any views or opinions expressed (OO)
\_,--\_/ Work: gedau_at_isa.mim.com.au    !  above may be mine, but are NOT ( \/ )
      v   WWW: http://pobox.com/~gedau !  necessarily those of M.I.M.     W--W