Re: Redo Log and Network Resources

From: Ho Yat-Fan <fanho_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 1999 03:36:59 GMT

Hi Sybrand,

Many thanks for the reply. How can I observe the cached file that u mention? And for choosing "Optimizing for Network Resources", besides preventing the problem you mentioned, is there other things on the positive side? Say, if I don't tune the SGA and just change the option, is there any benefits we get?

Many thanks.

Rgds., fan.

In article <938107786.4992.0.pluto.d4ee154e_at_news.demon.nl>,   "Sybrand Bakker" <postmaster_at_sybrandb.nospam.demon.nl> wrote:
> As Thomas Kyte is probably an Unix expert, and I currently am working
with
> NT servers only (sigh):
> Yes, the latter should be chosen. Otherwise you will get a file cache
in
> memory. I have seen one of 130 Mb with 256 Mb RAM in the system. You
would
> rather like to devote that precious RAM to the SGA (recommended 1/3 of
> physical memory).
>
> Hth,
>
> --
> Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA
> Ho Yat-Fan <fanho_at_my-deja.com> wrote in message
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I am using Oracle 7.3 on WinNT 4.0. I think these are natural
> > questions.
> >
> > Consider the following 2 questions/cases:
> > (1) Because of disk corruption, some datafiles corrupt, but the
> > redo log files are in perfect condition. The last datafile backups
> > (with redo logs etc) are restored and the archive logs applied.
> > The question is: is there any way to apply also the logs/information
> > recorded in the redo logs in good condition??
> >
> > (2) In Windows NT 4.0, regarding the network properties, for the
> > "Server" Component, one can choose "Optimized for File Sharing"
> > vs "Optimized for
> > Network resources". Is it that the later should be chosen when
> > the server is an Oracle DB server?
> >
> > Thanks a lot.
> >
> > Rgds.,
> > fan.
> > ps. In case of possibility, please also send a copy of your reply to
> > me at fan.ho_at_alumni.ust.hk
> >
> > --
> > Yat-Fan Ho
> > Software Support Analyst
> > KCRC, Hong Kong

Yat-Fan Ho
Software Support Analyst
KCRC, Hong Kong

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Fri Sep 24 1999 - 22:36:59 CDT