Re: newbie temp table

From: Joel R. Kallman <jkallman_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 14:46:24 GMT

On Tue, 14 Sep 1999 15:41:07 +0200, "x" <x_at_nospam.com> wrote:

>does oracle have any equivalent to "hash tables" used in sybase, mssql?
>hash table = temporary table which is only accessible to the current
>connection and is dropped when the connection is closed. Also the create
>table and drop table is not logged.

Temporary tables are now a part of Oracle8i 8.1.5. From the "Getting to Know Oracle8i" manual:

A temporary table is a table with session-specific or transaction-specific data. It is empty when the session or transaction begins, and discarded at the end of the session or transaction. Its definition is visible to all sessions but the data is visible to, and can be queried by, only the session that inserts the data into the table. It is created in the user’s temporary tablespace. Undo (rollback to savepoint) is supported, but not redo (crash recovery).

Thanks!

Joel

Joel R. Kallman Oracle Service Industries

Columbus, OH                             http://govt.us.oracle.com

jkallman@us.oracle.com                   http://www.oracle.com

The statements and opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Oracle Corporation. Received on Tue Sep 14 1999 - 09:46:24 CDT