Re: Interacting With a Text File

From: Rauno Seppanen <rauno.seppanen_at_icon.fi>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 15:13:07 GMT

>I'm using Designer Forms 4.5. I have several text files that contain
>information I need to access. The text files are records outputted from a
>database table and the information is tab delimited. Ex:
>
>784 gu 0 0 0 0 56 cold
>897 tu 0 0 1 1 47 hot
>
>Through Forms 4.5, is there a way for me to access the different columns
and
>rows to retrieve information?
>
>Quick responses appreciated...

One way to solve this is to load text file into some temporary table. If text file's records are always in certain position then you can define in loader's control file positions and corresponding columns in temporary table.

If text file's records are in different positions then you must load it into one columns (that is enough big) and with the help of INSTR and other functions you can determine what each record keeps inside of it.

The other way is to use ProC-program that reads text files and for example insert then into some table.

Rauno Received on Tue Sep 14 1999 - 10:13:07 CDT