Re: Oracle Contractor's Estimate Too High ?

From: Ken Tough <ken_at_objectech.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 1999 10:10:31 +0100

Apparently Michael Smith <mds_at_teleport.com> wrote:

>Total design time - about a
>week, given good conditions. One of the most critical factors, given the
>apparent lack of documentation, is the presence of someone who can explain
>the thinking behind the current design and how the tables relate to each
>other.

Exactly... Sure the head guy could do it in 4 hours, that's why it's in the mess it is in right now. As well, it would be stuck once again without any documentation. If you want to include proper design documentation on any project, talking about one day is ridiculous.

Presumably it includes porting the data in, and at least preliminary design of all the access methods and things. With fully looking at optimisation, estimates of throughput/ access times, whatever, sounds to me at least 80 hours would not be unreasonable. All depends on how much and of what quality you expect from the contractor.

Sounds like the first part of solving your problems is getting a new, project capable, head of IT.

--
Ken Tough Received on Fri Sep 03 1999 - 04:10:31 CDT