Backup and recovery query- RMAN

From: pauldb <luapdbNOswSPAM_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 04:57:49 -0700

Hi folk,

I have been already created a strategy for backup and recovery using O/S backups for the previous version of the DB and it works well. I have a backup disk to which I backup all the tablespaces etc and from there onto tape. This is good because it is fast backing up to disk and then to tape.

Now i have been trying to migrate the way it works for Recovery Manager (RMAN). I have created a script for copying to disk and also to tape. But because Legato Storage Manager automatically does all the tape media management for you- if i want to copy from disk to tape it will not work in the ideal sense. I do not want to back the database up twice- once for tape and once to disk- because that would slow the database down twice during the backup.
Is there a simple solution to my problem and has anyone encountered similar problems.

thanks for any advice/help,
Paul