Re: Backup and recovery query- RMAN

From: Alex Hudghton <alex_at_alenda.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 13:26:21 +0100

pauldb <luapdbNOswSPAM_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1415c574.72a03462_at_usw-ex0108-060.remarq.com...
> Hi folk,
>
> I have been already created a strategy for backup and
> recovery using O/S backups for the previous version of
> the DB and it works well. I have a backup disk to which I
> backup all the tablespaces etc and from there onto tape.
> This is good because it is fast backing up to disk and then
> to tape.
>
> Now i have been trying to migrate the way it works for
> Recovery Manager (RMAN). I have created a script for
> copying to disk and also to tape. But because Legato
> Storage Manager automatically does all the tape media
> management for you- if i want to copy from disk to tape
> it will not work in the ideal sense. I do not want to back
> the database up twice- once for tape and once to disk-
> because that would slow the database down twice during the
> backup.

I'm not quite sure what your problem is, but here's the way we currently approach it.
Because we have no Legato system fully configured, we do RMAN to disk and then backup these files when the entire system is saved using UNIX utilities. To restore - put RMAN files back on disk and recover as normal. Our intention is eventually to save direct to tape and eliminate the disk copy. You cannot backup to tape using RMAN unless you use a storage manager - that's just the way it is.

Alex Received on Tue Aug 31 1999 - 07:26:21 CDT