Re: Recover a single table

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 16:59:13 +0800

Jack Zhu wrote:

> Using hot backup mode. (didn't use 'export' way)
>
> Now I try to recover a single table without any impact to other ones. I
> think I can use the 'recover datafile' way to do this, right?
>
> 1. First I have to find out which datafile(s) I need to recover, how do
> I know which datafile the certain table is in? Suppose there're more
> than one datafile in each tablespace. If there's only one datafile in
> tablespace, that's easy.
>
> 2. What's the best way to recover a single table(without using 'export'
> and 'import')?
>
> Thanks!!!

You can do the following - its a pain but possible...

  1. restore system tablespace and datafile which contains the missing table.
  2. recover into a NEW database (ie tweak the control file) - you get a lot of "file missing" info etc etc but the database can be recovered.
  3. export from the new database the table you want
  4. blow away the new database
  5. import into your true database

HTH
--

Connor McDonald

"Some days you're the pigeon, and some days you're the statue." Received on Mon Aug 30 1999 - 03:59:13 CDT