French descriptions - help svp!

From: John Hunter <jthunter_at_nbnet.nospam.nb.ca>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 14:15:24 -0300

Hi,

I am trying to retrieve product descriptions using an ADO resultset in VB (version 6).

However, the french words containing accents are being displayed incorrectly, ex ÉPICERIE is retrieved as IPICERIE.

The data is stored in an ORACLE database (7.3.4 on Unix) and if I use SQL/Plus on the host, the proper
spelling appears- ÉPICERIE. However, if I run the exact same SQL statement within VB (using ADO), or using toad ,or using plus33w the spelling comes out wrong- IPICERIE.

I think this has something to do with the data transfer through the listener, but I don't know how to fix it or what else to try. I've tried setting NLS_LANGUAGE to French, and this helps with the sorting, but the descriptions still don't appear correctly. I'va also mucked with NLS_LANG and other NLS charactersets in my registry to no avail.

Any help or hints would be great!

Thanks,
-John Received on Tue Aug 24 1999 - 12:15:24 CDT