Re: Why should I upgrade to Oracle 8 ?

From: Brian Peasland <peasland_at_edcmail.cr.usgs.gov>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 13:13:02 GMT

Oracle 8 does have some benefits over 7.x versions. Version 8 has a better optimizer so your queries should(?) run faster. The database processes should also run faster as well. Not to mention, you can take advantage of features not found in 7.x versions such as function based indexes, table & index partitioning, and others. Your legacy systems might not take advantage of these new features right away, but over time, you will.

Hope that helps,
Brian Peasland
Raytheon Systems
peasland_at_edcmail.cr.usgs.gov